Sunday, March 12, 2017

Prayer Begins With Relationship - Session 7 - Keeping Company With God

The Senior Pastor of The Church of Divine Guidance has declared 2017 as the year of Prayer at CDG.  The Sunday morning Adult Bible Study starting the year with a a study using the book "Prayer Begins With Relationship", by Cynthia Hyle Bezek, a study in the Breakthrough Prayer:  Studies for Small Groups series. These are the notes for this study.    In Session 7 we talk about praying without ceasing means keeping company with our friend God.    

1 Thessalonians 5:17 (NLT)  Never stop praying.


Praying without ceasing comes naturally when we bring God into the everyday events of our lives and talk to Him about them along the way.

If you had to describe to someone what that command means without using the word pray what would you say?


Praying continually is quite an order if it meant that God expects us to engage in nonstop intercession or supplication (making a request).  That would wear most people out.  But what if what that really means is just keeping company with Him?  What if He wants us to include Him in every part of our lives, and every part of our day?  Maybe it means to “practice the presence of God”.  Praying without ceasing comes naturally when we bring God into the everyday events of our lives and talk to Him about them during the day.  


In a sermon and earlier Bible studies I’ve said that praying without ceasing means  that we are to consciously turn all our thoughts into prayer, especially when those thoughts turn to worry, fear, discouragement, and anger.


When we go through our day in unceasing prayer we are showing our dependence on God. If we don’t have this attitude throughout the day we may start to depend on ourselves instead of depending on God's grace. When we live our lives and go through our day in constant communion with our friend, God, then our minds are constantly on the things above.


Colossians 3:2-4 (NLT)2 Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.3 For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God.4 And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory.”


Go to:


Proverbs 3:5-6 (NLT)5  Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.6  Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.


What phrases in these verses call for us to live communion with God.


  • Trust in the Lord
  • Seek His will


Now to:


John 15:4-17 (NLT)4  Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.5  “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.6  Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned.7  But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted!8  When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father.9  “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love.10  When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love.11  I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow!12  This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you.13  There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.14  You are my friends if you do what I command.15  I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me.16  You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name.17  This is my command: Love each other.


Which phrases in this passage points to moment-by-moment life with Him.


  • Remain in me, and I will remain in you. (vs4)
  • Those who remain in me, and I in them,  apart from me you can do nothing (vs5)
  • Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away (vs6)
  • But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted(vs7)
  • Remain in my love. (vs 9)
  • When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. (vs 10)
  • so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! (vs 11)


From these two passages what is our part in this moment-by-moment relationship with God?


  • Trusting - Proverbs scripture
  • Seeking - Proverbs scripture
  • Remaining - John scripture
  • Obedience  - John scripture


Not only does God command us to remain with Him and commit all of our ways to Him, but He also remains with us.  


John 15:4 (NLT)  Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.


Psalm 37:5 (NLT)  Commit everything you do to the LORD. Trust him, and he will help you.


Here are some ways we can pray without ceasing;


Of course, this requires training your mind to move quickly from problem mode to prayer mode. It is crucial to have your arsenal of prayers ready to use.
Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you in your preparations, helping you form prayers that will flow readily out of your heart. Then practice saying them to until you’re intimately familiar with them. When you encounter trouble of any kind, reach into your arsenal of prayers and speak one or more of them boldly.


Here are some from scripture:
Psalm 27:11 (NLT)  Teach me how to live, O LORD. Lead me along the right path, for my enemies are waiting for me.
James 1:2 (NLT)  Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy.
James 4:7-8 (NLT)7  So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.8  Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.
Psalm 143:8 (NLT) Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you.
Philippians 4:6-7 (NLT)6  Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.7  Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
John 16:33 (NLT)  I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
Ephesians 2:6 (NLT)  For he raised us from the dead along with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ Jesus.


In our study we have looked at five key ideas that are foundational to making prayer a dynamic conversation with our friend God.


  1. Prayer thrives when it is in an atmosphere of an authentic, dynamic relationship with God.


  1. Our relationship with God deepens when we risk being open and honest with what we say to Him in prayer.


  1. We need to have an accurate view of God.  Our head and heart beliefs need to match so that we are comfortable in opening up to God in prayer.  We need to be sure that or head and heart beliefs match when we consider;


  • Delights in and takes pleasure in me. -


Psalm 147:11 (HCSB)11  The LORD values those who fear Him, those who put their hope in His faithful love.;


Zephaniah 3:17 (HCSB)17  Yahweh your God is among you, a warrior who saves. He will rejoice over you with gladness. He will bring ⌊you⌋ quietness with His love. He will delight in you with shouts of joy.”


  • Cares about even the smallest details of my life -


Matthew 6:31-32 (HCSB)31  So don’t worry, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear?’32  For the idolaters eagerly seek all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.;  


Luke 12:6-7 (HCSB)6  Aren’t five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten in God’s sight.7  Indeed, the hairs of your head are all counted. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows!  


  • Pities (has compassion on) me when I’m hurting -


Psalm 72:12-14 (HCSB)12  For he will rescue the poor who cry out and the afflicted who have no helper.13  He will have pity on the poor and helpless and save the lives of the poor.14  He will redeem them from oppression and violence, for their lives are precious in his sight.;


  • Is patient with and understanding of my weaknesses and failures -


Psalm 103:12-14 (HCSB)12  As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.13  As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him.14  For He knows what we are made of, remembering that we are dust.;  


Hebrews 4:15-16 (HCSB)15  For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tested in every way as we are, yet without sin.16  Therefore let us approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us at the proper time.


  • Wants to help me out of the messes I get myself into -


Psalm 40:1-3 (HCSB)1 I waited patiently for the LORD, and He turned to me and heard my cry for help.2  He brought me up from a desolate pit, out of the muddy clay, and set my feet on a rock, making my steps secure.3  He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.;


  • Enjoys sharing His heart with me -


Psalm 25:14 (HCSB)14  The secret counsel of the LORD is for those who fear Him, and He reveals His covenant to them.;


  • Likes to hear what I think and feel -


Psalm 62:8 (HCSB)8  Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts before Him. God is our refuge.Selah;


1 Peter 5:7 (HCSB)7  casting all your care on Him, because He cares about you.


  • He loved us before we loved Him and were unsaved and He Is always happy to see me, even when I’ve sinned against Him -


Romans 5:8-10 (NLT)8  But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.9  And since we have been made right in God’s sight by the blood of Christ, he will certainly save us from God’s condemnation.10  For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son.


John 21:15-17 (NLT)15  After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” Peter replied, “you know I love you.” “Then feed my lambs,” Jesus told him.16  Jesus repeated the question: “Simon son of John, do you love me?” “Yes, Lord,” Peter said, “you know I love you.” “Then take care of my sheep,” Jesus said.17  A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.


Mark 2:15-17 (NLT)15  Later, Levi invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, along with many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners. (There were many people of this kind among Jesus’ followers.)16  But when the teachers of religious law who were Pharisees saw him eating with tax collectors and other sinners, they asked his disciples, “Why does he eat with such scum?”17  When Jesus heard this, he told them, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.”


Luke 15:1-2, 11-24 (HCSB)1  All the tax collectors and sinners were approaching to listen to Him.2  And the Pharisees and scribes were complaining, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them!” 11  He also said: “A man had two sons.12  The younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of the estate I have coming to me.’ So he distributed the assets to them.13  Not many days later, the younger son gathered together all he had and traveled to a distant country, where he squandered his estate in foolish living.14  After he had spent everything, a severe famine struck that country, and he had nothing.15  Then he went to work for one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed pigs.16  He longed to eat his fill from the carob pods the pigs were eating, but no one would give him any.17  When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired hands have more than enough food, and here I am dying of hunger!18  I’ll get up, go to my father, and say to him, Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight.19  I’m no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired hands.’20  So he got up and went to his father. But while the son was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion. He ran, threw his arms around his neck, and kissed him.21  The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight. I’m no longer worthy to be called your son.’22  “But the father told his slaves, ‘Quick! Bring out the best robe and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet.23  Then bring the fattened calf and slaughter it, and let’s celebrate with a feast,24  because this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found!’ So they began to celebrate.


  • Always has time for me -


Deuteronomy 31:6 (HCSB)6  Be strong and courageous; don’t be terrified or afraid of them. For it is the LORD your God who goes with you; He will not leave you or forsake you. (Pastors song);  


Psalm 139:7-10 (HCSB)7  Where can I go to escape Your Spirit? Where can I flee from Your presence?8  If I go up to heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, You are there.9  If I live at the eastern horizon ⌊or⌋ settle at the western limits,10  even there Your hand will lead me; Your right hand will hold on to me.;


Hebrews 13:5 (HCSB)5  Your life should be free from the love of money. Be satisfied with what you have, for He Himself has said, I will never leave you or forsake you.


  • Wants to rescue me when I’m in trouble -


Psalm 91:14-15 (HCSB)14  Because he is lovingly devoted to Me, I will deliver him; I will protect him because he knows My name.15  When he calls out to Me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble. I will rescue him and give him honor.;


2 Timothy 4:18 (HCSB)18  The Lord will rescue me from every evil work and will bring me safely into His heavenly kingdom. To Him be the glory forever and ever! Amen.;


2 Peter 2:9 (HCSB)9  ⌊then⌋ the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment,


4.  God is talkative and wants to engage with us in two-way conversation:


Psalm 27:8 (NLT)  My heart has heard you say, “Come and talk with me.” And my heart responds, “LORD, I am coming.”  


Psalm 85:8 (NLT)  I listen carefully to what God the LORD is saying, for he speaks peace to his faithful people. But let them not return to their foolish ways.


Isaiah 55:1-3 (NLT)1  “Is anyone thirsty? Come and drink— even if you have no money! Come, take your choice of wine or milk— it’s all free!2  Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength? Why pay for food that does you no good? Listen to me, and you will eat what is good. You will enjoy the finest food.3  “Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen, and you will find life. I will make an everlasting covenant with you. I will give you all the unfailing love I promised to David.


Jeremiah 33:3 (NLT) Ask me and I will tell you remarkable secrets you do not know about things to come.  


Habakkuk 2:1 (NLT)  I will climb up to my watchtower and stand at my guardpost. There I will wait to see what the LORD says and how he will answer my complaint.


John 10:27 (NLT)  My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. Other


Romans 8:16 (NLT)  For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children.


James 1:5-6 (NLT)5  If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.6  But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind.


5.  Learning to discern God’s voice is essential in two-way-relationship.   He speaks;


  • Audible Voice -


Luke 3:21-22 (NKJV)21  When all the people were baptized, it came to pass that Jesus also was baptized; and while He prayed, the heaven was opened.22  And the Holy Spirit descended in bodily form like a dove upon Him, and a voice came from heaven which said, "You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased."


  • Dreams and Visions -


Acts 2:17 (NKJV)17  'And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams.


  • Angels -


Acts 8:26 (NKJV)26  Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, "Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza." This is desert.


  • The creation itself -


Psalm 19:1-4 (NKJV)1  The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork.2  Day unto day utters speech, And night unto night reveals knowledge.3  There is no speech nor language Where their voice is not heard.4  Their line has gone out through all the earth, And their words to the end of the world. In them He has set a tabernacle for the sun,


  • Holy Spirit led men to speak or prophecy -


Luke 1:67 (NKJV)67  Now his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied, saying:


Acts 19:6 (NKJV)6  And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.


  • The Bible -


Psalm 119:105 (NKJV)105  Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.


2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NKJV)16  All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,17  that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.


We also need to be aware of the hindrances in hearing God speak.


  • Not taking time to listen
  • Doubting that He will really speak
  • Unconfessed sin
  • Distractions
  • Self-reliance, independence
  • Fear of what He might say
  • Being afraid of hearing the wrong voice


If we haven’t accomplished anything else in this study I pray that;


  1. Knowing God wants a reciprocating friendship with me encourages me to take all kinds of things to Him and to depend on Him for support.  Support in even the small things like what to say to someone that you know is going through a difficult time and asking God how you should approach it.  For example I was struggling with how to move forward on something in my responsibilities for the church.  He answered me immediately and I’ve started working on it and I expect that it will result in something positive as we move forward.
  2. Because God want to engage in two-way dialogue I hope that we are learning to pay attention to the thoughts that cross our minds so that we don’t miss conversations and what He is saying to us.  


By talking to the Lord in open dialogue, we develop a relationship with Him. He becomes not just our Savior, but our friend, and as the intimacy grows, so will our passion to be with Him. Prayer will become a delight, not a duty

No comments:

Post a Comment