Sunday, April 1, 2018

Psalms: A Guide To Prayer And Praise - Session 11 - Psalm 73 Does It Pay To Be Good?




The Church of Divine Guidance Sunday Morning Adult Bible Study Group studying the book Psalms: A Guide to Prayer and Praise by Ron Klug. The Psalms are some of the most widely read and best-loved portions of the Bible. For thousands of years these songs of faith have spoken to the hearts and minds of people around the world. The Psalms are songs–music our spirits sing to the Creator. They are poems–full of vibrant imagery and strong rhythms. And they are prayers–our deepest emotions expressed to the Lord who feels with us. Most importantly, the Psalms are God’s Word to us, revealing the truth about him and our relationship with him. Study along with us by getting a copy of the book by clicking this LINK or the image of the book at the end of the study notes. 

This song is written out of the psalmist’s agonizing and bitter search for answers. His question is simple: Why do the wicked prosper and the righteous suffer? If we're honest, most of us have struggled at some point to reconcile God’s sovereignty with what we see happening in the world. But God is bigger than any of our doubts, and we can regain perspective and faith as we draw near to him.
 
 1. Is there any connection between obedience to God’s commands and human success?  Explain.

Today it doesn’t appear that human success has anything to do with obedience to God’s commands.  Human success often depends on knowing the right people, being a child or a family member of a successful family, intelligence, or being in the right place at the right time. Success on this basis can be, although not necessarily, fleeting, because it is based on human beings. It is also limited to this life not eternity. Success based on obedience to God’s commands when achieved is permanent when you achieve what God considers success.

Romans 8:28-30 NIV And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Psalm 73:1-28 NIV Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.  But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold.  For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.  They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong.  They are free from common human burdens; they are not plagued by human ills.  Therefore pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence.  From their callous hearts comes iniquity ; their evil imaginations have no limits.  They scoff, and speak with malice; with arrogance they threaten oppression.  Their mouths lay claim to heaven, and their tongues take possession of the earth.  Therefore their people turn to them and drink up waters in abundance.  They say, “How would God know? Does the Most High know anything?”  This is what the wicked are like— always free of care, they go on amassing wealth.  Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure and have washed my hands in innocence.  All day long I have been afflicted, and every morning brings new punishments.  If I had spoken out like that, I would have betrayed your children.  When I tried to understand all this, it troubled me deeply  till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny.  Surely you place them on slippery ground; you cast them down to ruin.  How suddenly are they destroyed, completely swept away by terrors!  They are like a dream when one awakes; when you arise, Lord, you will despise them as fantasies.  When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered,  I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you.  Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.  You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.  Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.  But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.

2. What basic conviction about life did the psalmist state in verse 1?

Psalm 73:1 NIV Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.
That God is good and blesses those He considers good.  Pure in heart” means being totally committed to God and describes an attitude.

3. What did he observe that caused him to question this conviction (verses 2–5)?

That those who were not committed to God appeared to be being blessed.

Psalm 73:2-5 NIV But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold.  For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.  They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong.  They are free from common human burdens; they are not plagued by human ills.


4. List the chief characteristics of the wicked in verses 4–14. How do you feel about such people?

  • Proud


Psalms 73:6 ERV So they are proud and hateful. This is as easy to see as the jewels and fancy clothes they wear.


  • Arrogant


Psalms 73:8 ERV They make fun of others and say cruel things about them. In their pride they make plans to hurt people.


  • Callous
  • Evil


Think they know everything.

5. What conclusion did the psalmist draw in verses 13 and 14 when he saw the success and popularity of those who scorned God?

Psalm 73:13-14 NIV Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure and have washed my hands in innocence.  All day long I have been afflicted, and every morning brings new punishments.

 That there was no benefit in him being obedient.  Because even though he was trying something else always happened.

Have you ever felt that way?

6. How did the writer come to terms with the paradox that the wicked seem to be better
off  than the pure in heart?

He couldn't come to terms with it from a mental human perspective because it didn’t seem right. In fact it seemed to go against the law that they were told that if they obeyed they would be blessed and if they didn't they would be cursed.

 Deuteronomy 28:1-2 NIV If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. All these blessings will come on you and accompany you if you obey the Lord your God:

Deuteronomy 28:15 NIV However, if you do not obey the Lord your God and do not carefully follow all his commands and decrees I am giving you today, all these curses will come on you and overtake you:


He only came to terms with it when he began to worship God anyway. He did that because he said if he expressed how he felt he would be a traitor, teaching something that he really didn't believe.

Psalm 73:15 NIV If I had spoken out like that, I would have betrayed your children.

 False teachers do that.

When he started worshipping he was able to see more clearly.  When he started worshipping his focus changed from himself to God. 

7. Note the metaphors used to express the precariousness of the wicked person’s life (verses 18–20). What recent examples from our society can you think of that illustrate this?

Psalm 73:18-20 NIV Surely you place them on slippery ground; you cast them down to ruin.  How suddenly are they destroyed, completely swept away by terrors!  They are like a dream when one awakes; when you arise, Lord, you will despise them as fantasies.

 Slippery ground

In a dream

Fantasies

Psalms 73:18-20 ERV Clearly, you have put them in danger. You make it easy for them to fall and be destroyed.  Trouble can come suddenly, and they will be ruined. Terrible things can happen to them, and they will be finished.  Then they will be like a dream that we forget when we wake up. You will make them disappear like the monsters in our dreams.
Lottery winners

Trust fund kids

One hit wonders


8. As the psalmist looked back on his period of doubt, how did he feel about it?

Psalm 73:21-22 NIV When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered,  I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you.

He felt stupid like a child having a temper tantrum.

9. How are the blessings of those who are near to God different from the “blessings” or advantages of the wicked (verses 23–28)?

The advantages of the wicked are temporary but those near God are eternal.

Psalm 73:23-28 NIV Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.  You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory.  Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.  But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.

 10. Verses 27 and 28 summarize the contrast between those who ignore or rebel against God and those who love and obey him. Paraphrase these two verses in your own words.

Even though I acted like a spoiled brat you still care for and guide me and I will be with you forever.  I don't have anyone but you anyway. All these things that I have been complaining about will someday be gone anyway, but you will be with me forever.  All those who have ignored you will lose everything even your presence forever. I’m going to always worship and praise you and testify to you goodness.

11. One commentator has titled this psalm “The Great Nevertheless.” Why is this an appropriate title?

Benson Commentary
Psalm 73:23. Nevertheless — Notwithstanding all my temptations, and my gross folly in yielding to them; I am continually with thee — In thy favour and under thy care. Although I gave thee just cause to cast me off, yet thou didst continue thy gracious presence with me, and kindness to me. Thou hast holden me by thy right hand — Hast upheld me, that my faith might not fail, and I might not be overthrown by this, or any other temptation. “The remainder of the Psalm contains the most dutiful and affectionate expressions of a mind perfectly at ease, and reposing itself with comfortable assurance on the loving-kindness of the Lord, of which it had thus experienced a fresh instance in its support under the late temptation, and complete victory over it.” — Horne.

12. Psalm 73 shows the writer working through his religious doubts and questions. What can you learn from this psalm about how to handle doubt and bitterness?


Bible Study Audio











No comments:

Post a Comment