Sunday, April 8, 2018

Psalms: A Guide To Prayer And Praise - Session 12 - Psalm 139 - God Knows Us




The Church of Divine Guidance Sunday Morning Adult Bible Study Group studying the book Psalms: A Guide to Prayer and Praise by Ron Klug. The Psalms are some of the most widely read and best-loved portions of the Bible. For thousands of years these songs of faith have spoken to the hearts and minds of people around the world. The Psalms are songs–music our spirits sing to the Creator. They are poems–full of vibrant imagery and strong rhythms. And they are prayers–our deepest emotions expressed to the Lord who feels with us. Most importantly, the Psalms are God’s Word to us, revealing the truth about him and our relationship with him. Study along with us by getting a copy of the book by clicking this LINK or the image of the book at the end of the study notes. 

The thought that Almighty God knows who we are individually is staggering, even scary; we cannot hide from him. However, when we come to know his goodness and love, we don’t want to hide from God. Psalm 139 helps us understand the comforting truth of God’s interest in the details of our lives. As we grow to trust God not only as the judge of all the earth but as the one who cares deeply for us, our response is to become still more intimately acquainted. The result: an increased desire for personal purity and integrity.
     
1. How much do you think God is really involved in our lives—none, some, completely? On what do you base your answer?

You have searched me, Lord , and you know me.  You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.  Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord , know it completely.  You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.  Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?  If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.  If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,  even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.  If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,”  even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.  For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.  Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.  How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!  Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand— when I awake, I am still with you. - Psalm 139:1-18 NIV

2. In what ways and on what levels does God know us?

He knows us completely. Nothing is hidden from Him. He has always known us and knows everything that we will ever do.

3. How did the psalmist react when he realized how completely God understood him?  How do you react?

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. - Psalm 139:6 NIV

He thought that it was wonderful that God knew and understand him. 

I react with shame sometimes when I realize that God knows what I thinking and when I realize that the thing that I did that I didn't think anyone knew He did.  On the other hand I am very thankful that He does know and understand me yet He still loves and cares for me.

4. David described the all-knowingness (omniscience) of God. What attribute or characteristic of God did he explore in verses 7–12?

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?  If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.  If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,  even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.  If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,”  even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. - Psalm 139:7-12 NIV

His omnipresence (the presence of God everywhere at the same time).

5. How do people try to escape from God today? Why do they fail?

By not praying, not being around Christians, not going to church, not reading the Bible.  They fail because God is omniscient and omnipresent.

6. What phases in the development of a child are described in verses 13–16?
Behold the only one greater than you!

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.  Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. - Psalm 139:13-16 NIV

From conception through birth.

7. What does verse 16 suggest about our lives? What was the writer’s reaction in verses 17 and 18?

Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. - Psalm 139:16 NIV

Verse 16 suggests that everything is already predestined by God.

How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!  Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand— when I awake, I am still with you. - Psalm 139:17-18 NIV

The writer reacts with joy that God has already predetermined everything.

As you know there is debate about predestination. While I believe that God knows everything that will ever happen and that His desire for us always good.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord , “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

He has given us free will.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord , “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord .” - Joshua 24:15 NIV

And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.” - Genesis 2:16-17 NIV

Here's the scripture that those who believe in predestination use;

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. - Romans 8:28-30 NIV

What I believe is that what is predestined is what will happen to those who choose to obey and those who choose not to obey.

READ PSALM 139:19–24.

If only you, God, would slay the wicked! Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty!  They speak of you with evil intent; your adversaries misuse your name.  Do I not hate those who hate you, Lord , and abhor those who are in rebellion against you?  I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies.  Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. - Psalm 139:19-24 NIV

8. Why did the writer ask God to destroy these people? How do you react to this idea?

This surprising change of tone and outlook is regarded by some interpreters as a later addition. However, the intensity of conviction apparent in the earlier verses is seen again here. God, who has such minute knowledge of man, cannot overlook flagrant sinners. - The Wycliffe Bible Commentary.

9. To what request did the writer’s logic lead him in verses 23 and 24?

Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
- Psalm 139:23-24 NIV

The psalmist closes with the personal plea that God will search, try, know, see, and lead him. His goal is the way everlasting, the way of life and peace, as compared with the way of ruin and destruction for the wicked.

10. Contrast verses 19–22 with Jesus’s words: “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you” (Matthew 5:44). How can these two attitudes be reconciled?

If only you, God, would slay the wicked! Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty!  They speak of you with evil intent; your adversaries misuse your name.  Do I not hate those who hate you, Lord , and abhor those who are in rebellion against you?  I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies. - Psalm 139:19-22 NIV

This certainly does not sound like loving our enemies and praying for them. He is praying that he not have to be around them or be associated with them.

11. Is there a legitimate hatred of evil? Explain.

Hate evil, love good; maintain justice in the courts. Perhaps the Lord God Almighty will have mercy on the remnant of Joseph. - Amos 5:15 NIV

There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him:  haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,  a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil,  a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community. - Proverbs 6:16-19 NIV

Let those who love the Lord hate evil, for he guards the lives of his faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked. - Psalm 97:10 NIV

“Is it all right to be angry at people who hate God? Yes, but we must remember that it is God who will deal with them, not us. If we truly love God, then we will be deeply hurt if someone hates him. David asked God to search his heart and mind and point out any wrong motives that may have been behind his strong words”

Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting - Psalm 139:23-24 NIV

12. Summarize everything you learned about God from this psalm. How can this understanding of God affect your life?


Bible Study Audio










No comments:

Post a Comment