Sunday, March 25, 2018

Psalms: A Guide To Prayer And Praise - Session 10 Light And Salvation





The Church of Divine Guidance Sunday Morning Adult Bible Study Group studying the book Psalms: A Guide to Prayer and Praise by Ron Klug. The Psalms are some of the most widely read and best-loved portions of the Bible. For thousands of years these songs of faith have spoken to the hearts and minds of people around the world. The Psalms are songs–music our spirits sing to the Creator. They are poems–full of vibrant imagery and strong rhythms. And they are prayers–our deepest emotions expressed to the Lord who feels with us. Most importantly, the Psalms are God’s Word to us, revealing the truth about him and our relationship with him. Study along with us by getting a copy of the book by clicking this LINK or the image of the book at the end of the study notes. 



Life is full of changing situations, and for some of us our confidence in the Lord seems to change with our moods. We may feel confident in God’s goodness in the midst of one crisis and yet feel fearful and doubtful as we face another.

1. What problems—physical, emotional, or spiritual—do you fear the most in your life?  Why?


The only problems thaI fear today would physical ones that restrict my mobility and independence.

Psalm 27:1-14 NIV The Lord is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?  When the wicked advance against me to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall.  Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident.  One thing I ask from the Lord , this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.  For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock.  Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord .  Hear my voice when I call, Lord ; be merciful to me and answer me.  My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, Lord , I will seek.  Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, God my Savior.  Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me.  Teach me your way, Lord ; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors.  Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, spouting malicious accusations.  I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.  Wait for the Lord ;be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord .

2. What three pictures of the Lord does the psalmist mention in verse 1? What does each metaphor mean to you?


Light - The source of truth and direction - Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. - Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV, Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. - Psalm 119:105 NIV,  When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” - John 8:12 NIV

Salvation - Justified and reconciled. Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. Romans 5:9-11 NIV
Stronghold - A stronghold is a fortress which offer protection.  The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. - Psalm 18:2 NIV  He said: “The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;  my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior— from violent people you save me. - 2 Samuel 22:2-3 NIV

3. How did the psalmist respond to the troubling situations in verses 2 and 3? Why?


When the wicked advance against me to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall.  Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident. Psalm 27:2-3 NIV

He was confident that he will survive and win because of what he said about the Lord in verse one. The Lord is his light, salvation, and stronghold.

4. In verse 4 the writer stated the focus of his life. How does the psalmist’s aim in life compare with your own?


One thing I ask from the Lord , this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple. Psalm 27:4 NIV

His focus is to stay in God’s presence.

We talked about that last week the last verse in Psalm 23 is
Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. - Psalm 23:6 NIV

In Session 4 Psalm 42 starts with the psalmist distraught because he can't get to the temple and God’s presence.

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?  My tears have been my food day and night, while people say to me all day long, “Where is your God?”  These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go to the house of God under the protection of the Mighty One with shouts of joy and praise among the festive throng. Psalm 42:1-4 NIV

5. The metaphors of God’s protection in verse 5 spring from the wilderness setting, which David knew so well. How would you translate these metaphors into today’s culture?


For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock. Psalm 27:5 NIV

Going to church today is what we do that matches the metaphor of the sacred tent which is a reference to the Tabernacle in the wilderness, or when it was in The Promised Land afterward.

6. How did the psalmist respond to God for his presence and protection?


For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock.  Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord . Psalm 27:5-6 NIV

With praise and worship.

7. How is the mood of verses 7–12 different from that in the first six verses?


Hear my voice when I call, Lord ; be merciful to me and answer me.  My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, Lord , I will seek.  Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, God my Savior.  Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me.  Teach me your way, Lord ; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors.  Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, spouting malicious accusations.
Psalm 27:7-12 NIV

The mood changes from confidence to fear.  These words shift the mood entirely from triumph to deep distress as they introduce a new situation and occasion. Even though the psalmist has been forsaken and rejected, his trust does not fail. From the depths of despair, he calls himself back to the patience required in waiting for God to work out his will. - The Wycliffe Bible Commentary.

8. What does it mean to “seek the face of the Lord”?


To spend time in God’s word, and in talking with Him in prayer.

9. Verse 10 assures us of God’s love and acceptance. How is God a better parent than any human mother or father?


Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me. - Psalm 27:10 NIV

Human parents get frustrated sometime and make emotional decisions. We have all heard of parents disowning their children for various reasons. God never does that no matter what we’ve done.

10. To whom is verse 14 addressed? What is involved in “waiting for the Lord”?



Wait for the Lord ; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord . - Psalm 27:14 NIV

Everyone who has asked something of God and has not received an answer yet. 

Here are some suggestions from Rick Warren

1.    Relax your body. When your body relaxes, it relaxes your mind. Then you’re more open and able to hear God better. Psalm 46:10 says, “Be still, and know that I am God” (NIV).
2.    Wait quietly. Psalm 62:5 says, “Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him” (NLT). Busyness ramps up the RPMs in your mind. It gets it going. Have you ever gotten your mind going so fast you can’t slow it down? Waiting quietly allows your engine to cool down.
3.    Wait patiently. “Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act” (Psalm 37:7). Inner calm creates the intercom to God. In other words, it makes the connection. When you get quiet, you can focus your mind on God and what he wants to say to you.
4.    Wait expectantly. The Bible says in Psalm 130:5, “I wait expectantly, trusting God to help, for he has promised” (TLB). God speaks to people who expect him to speak to them.

11. Do you recall a situation in which you had to wait for God? What was the outcome?


12. Think back to your response to question 1. How can the message of this psalm help you handle your fear better?


Bible Study Audio






No comments:

Post a Comment