Tuesday, August 7, 2018

What Does The Bible Say About Depression?

Photo by nikko macaspac on Unsplash
These are the notes to the CDG Tuesday Night Bible Study on 8-7-18.  It is a subject that I have wanted to talk about for some time.  Because we in the church have been reluctant to talk about depression many of our brothers and sisters have suffered, and others died by their own hands because we have equated depression with some unconfessed sin, and all we have to do is confess and ask God to forgive us and then we can claim all the promises of the Bible that tell us that we shouldn't be depressed.   While hiding sin can certainly be a reason for depression it is certainly not the only, or most prevalent reason for depression.


2 Timothy 4:2-4 (NKJV)2  Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.
3  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers;4  and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

2 Timothy 4:2-4 (NLT2)2  Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.3  For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear.4  They will reject the truth and chase after myths.

I’m going to talk about something that the church doesn’t like to talk about so we don’t talk about it enough. It is something that we do need to talk about because it affects Christians and if it affects us then it is addressed in the Bible somewhere. 

It is something that I know a lot about because I lived with someone who had a problem with this and I’ve seen so many of my brothers and sisters who suffer with the same thing.  If we talk about it then with the help of the Holy Spirit we can maybe do something about it.  So tonight I’m going to talk about depression and what the Bible says about it.  Metal health professionals will tell you that a very large of number of people who take their own lives do it because they are depressed. 

The church tends to have trouble talking about depression because it’s messy and uncomfortable. But this is something that’s not going away. More and more people who show up on Sunday Mornings are struggling with this very real issue. There is data that confirms that in the past several decades the use of antidepressants has increased 400 percent. We are one of the richest and most depressed countries in the world.

However, when people sit in church pews, the atmosphere isn't usually conducive to people admitting they have a problem and asking for help. Instead, everyone tries to appear as perfect as possible. Coming to church has nothing to do with who you actually are but rather with how you appear.

Believe it or not, Christians struggle with depression.
        
The sad thing is that depression is almost never the major theme  of a sermon.   What we often here is that if a person is dealing with depression, it's because of some unconfessed sin that needs to be dealt with.
        

Most of us will agree that Christians can and do become depressed.  However many Christians believe, some unconsciously perhaps, that Christians do not and should not become depressed. After all depression only happens when you lose all hope, and don’t Christians have the best Hope there is?  After all doesn’t God absolutely, 100% have the power to heal depression?

Most Christians will tell you that you have two options, to give in to depression or believe God’s promise:

1 Corinthians 10:12-13 (NLT2)12  If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall.13  The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.

We Christians often over-spiritualize depression and neglect the very real physical needs of a person caught in depression’s grip.  On the other hand, non-Christians tend to focus too much on the physical aspects of depression and neglect spiritual health.

Depression can be caused by guilt. Sometimes the weight of our downfalls and sins can cause us to grieve and mourn to the point of depression.                       
Depression can also be caused by the difficult circumstances of our lives. Life can get so hard that it makes us depressed.  
                    
Depression can also be the result of a physical illness. Sometimes the circumstances of our bodies can cause us to become depressed. I’m talking about synapses misfiring and chemicals becoming imbalanced. I’m talking about diseases within our bodies. This can be the most difficult cause of depression to wrestle with because you can’t quite put your finger on the reason you are suffering. You’re simply suffering.


  
No matter what depression may look like, the attributes of God are almost always under attack. Doubt always follows closely on the heels of depression. If you’re a Christian and you’re depressed you’re in good company.

Moses

Numbers 11:14-15 (NLT2)14  I can’t carry all these people by myself! The load is far too heavy!15  If this is how you intend to treat me, just go ahead and kill me. Do me a favor and spare me this misery!”

Elijah

1 Kings 19:3-4 (NLT2)3  Elijah was afraid and fled for his life. He went to Beersheba, a town in Judah, and he left his servant there.4  Then he went on alone into the wilderness, traveling all day. He sat down under a solitary broom tree and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, LORD,” he said. “Take my life, for I am no better than my ancestors who have already died.”

Jonah 
He asked to be thrown out of the boat, knowing that he wouldn’t survive;

Jonah 1:12 (NLT2)  “Throw me into the sea,” Jonah said, “and it will become calm again. I know that this terrible storm is all my fault.”

Paul

2 Corinthians 1:8-9 (NLT2)8  We think you ought to know, dear brothers and sisters, about the trouble we went through in the province of Asia. We were crushed and overwhelmed beyond our ability to endure, and we thought we would never live through it.9  In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead.​
What Does The Bible Say?
In biblical times, life was full of tribulations and unexpected catastrophe giving a good reason for people to experience depression and sadness. The Bible frequently discusses methods to deal with and overcome feeling depressed in the face of hardship and suffering.
Bible Verses about Depression
Photo by Ayo Ogunseinde on Unsplash
Psalm 30:11 ESV You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,
Deuteronomy 31:8 ESV It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”
Psalm 3:3 ESV But you, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.
Isaiah 40:31 ESV But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
John 10:10 ESV The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
Philippians 4:13 ESV I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
John 16:33 ESV I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
Scripture Quotes on Depression
Isaiah 41:10 ESV Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Matthew 11:28 ESV Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Jeremiah 29:11 ESV For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Psalm 143:7-8 ESV Answer me quickly, O Lord! My spirit fails! Hide not your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Psalm 30:5 ESV For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.
Depression Bible Verses
1 Peter 5:7 ESV Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
Psalm 143:7-8 ESV Answer me quickly, O Lord! My spirit fails! Hide not your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Philippians 4:6-7 ESV Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Psalm 23:4 ESV Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Romans 8:28 ESV And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Depression in the Bible
Photo by Joshua Earle on Unsplash
Proverbs 12:25 ESV Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.
Romans 12:2 ESV Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Psalm 9:9 ESV The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
2 Timothy 1:7 ESV For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
Revelation 21:4 ESV He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”
Proverbs 12:25 ESV Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.
Romans 12:2 ESV Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Psalm 9:9 ESV The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
2 Timothy 1:7 ESV For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
Revelation 21:4 ESV He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”
Bible Verses For When You're Depressed
Psalm 34:17-18 ESV When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
Matthew 6:33 ESV But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
Romans 15:13 ESV May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
John 16:33 ESV I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
Joshua 1:9 ESV Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” 

I know there are some people who have trouble with the idea that someone who is truly a follower of Jesus could struggle with depression. If that’s the case for you, I would simply encourage you to read your Bible—and not just the uplifting stories but also the parts where it gets so real and raw that we squirm a bit.

Bible Study Audio




No comments:

Post a Comment