Wednesday, May 3, 2023

God's Providence Session 21 - A Song of Triumph


The Christ Church Wednesday Bible Study Group is studying God's providence or divine providence in the lives of David and Joseph and how we can apply His providence in their lives to our lives today.

The providence of God or divine providence is the governance of God by which He, with wisdom and love, cares for and directs all things in the universe. Divine providence asserts that God is in complete control of all things. He is sovereign over the universe. He is in control of the physical world. He is in control of the affairs of nations. He is in control of human destiny. He is in control of human successes and failures. He protects His people.


In Session 20 we talked about the ability of a "person after God's own heart", to give unconditional forgiveness even when someone seriously offends you when you are at your lowest point. We looked at how David did it and how we can apply his experience to ourselves. Here in Session 21 we look at a psalm of David in which he sums up his life in four themes.

  1. When times are tough, God is our only security

  2. When our days are dark, the Lord is our only light

  3. When our walk is week, the Lord is our only strength

  4. When our future is foggy or fuzzy, the Lord is our only hope

For our study we will be using Great Lives: David: A Man of Passion and Destiny, by Charles R. Swindoll, and The Hand of God by Alistair Begg. To study along with us you can purchase the books by clicking the Links here or the images after the notes.


The providence of God or divine providence is the governance of God by which He, with wisdom and love, cares for and directs all things in the universe. Divine providence asserts that God is in complete control of all things. He is sovereign over the universe as a whole, He is in control of the physical world, He is in control of the affairs of nations, He’s in control of human destiny, He’s in control of human successes and failures, He protects His people.  Through divine providence God accomplishes His will.

Last week we talked about forgiveness and David’s ability to unconditionally forgive someone who cursed and wished him bad stuff when he was at one of the lowest points of his life.

If you remember when David’s son led a revolution against his father that was so successful initially that David had to flee the city.  We’ve actually seen similar things in our lifetime.  When the people of Hati got tired of the dictatorship of Duvalier family they revolted and overthrew the government of Baby Doc and he had to flee the country to France aided by the US.  

On his way out a descendant of Saul cursed David

2 Samuel 16:5‭-‬8 NIV As King David approached Bahurim, a man from the same clan as Saul’s family came out from there. His name was Shimei son of Gera, and he cursed as he came out. He pelted David and all the king’s officials with stones, though all the troops and the special guard were on David’s right and left. As he cursed, Shimei said, “Get out, get out, you murderer, you scoundrel! The Lord has repaid you for all the blood you shed in the household of Saul, in whose place you have reigned. The Lord has given the kingdom into the hands of your son Absalom. You have come to ruin because you are a murderer!”

To show why God called David a man after his own heart the king wouldn’t let anybody shut this guy up.

2 Samuel 16:9‭-‬10 NIV Then Abishai son of Zeruiah said to the king, “Why should this dead dog curse my Lord the king? Let me go over and cut off his head.” But the king said, “What does this have to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? If he is cursing because the Lord said to him, ‘Curse David,’ who can ask, ‘Why do you do this?’ ”

David said maybe the Lord told him to curse him so leave it alone.

Well, we know that David’s followers eventually won, and David was reinstated as king.  On his way back into the capital this same guy that cursed him came and asked forgiveness.

2 Samuel 19:18‭-‬20 NIV They crossed at the ford to take the king’s household over and to do whatever he wished. When Shimei son of Gera crossed the Jordan, he fell prostrate before the king and said to him, “May my Lord not hold me guilty. Do not remember how your servant did wrong on the day my Lord the king left Jerusalem. May the king put it out of his mind. For I your servant know that I have sinned, but today I have come here as the first from the tribes of Joseph to come down and meet my Lord the king.”

Over the objections of the same man that wanted to kill Shimei when he cursed him David forgave him.

2 Samuel 19:21‭-‬23 NIV Then Abishai son of Zeruiah said, “Shouldn’t Shimei be put to death for this? He cursed the Lord’s anointed.” David replied, “What does this have to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? What right do you have to interfere? Should anyone be put to death in Israel today? Don’t I know that today I am king over Israel?” So the king said to Shimei, “You shall not die.” And the king promised him on oath.

We ended by saying that the things that allowed David to forgive will also allow us to forgive if we do the first thing that we said David did and that was to have a vertical focus.  His focus was on God.  He would allow God to deal with the situation according to his will not David’s.  David was also aware, as are we, of his own failures.  We said that the forgiven make good forgivers.

Other things we mentioned that help us to forgive are developing a thicker layer of skiing which will allow us to shake off some offenses.  

Second, we can try to understand where the offender is coming from. Give them some grace; we may not know the whole story.  

Third, we should recall times in our own life when we needed forgiveness. All of us, at one time or another, have done or said something dumb or extreme or offensive and have needed someone’s forgiveness.

Fourth, we need to verbalize our forgiveness. Spoken words of forgiveness and graciousness are marvelously therapeutic to the offender, no matter how small or great the offense. 

Next our study takes us to the later part of David’s life.  He’s gone through extreme highs and extreme lows in his life.  He starts out as the youngest boy in a family and he’s the one that must be out with the sheep a low point.  Samuel anoints him king, high point.  He kills Israel’s enemy’s champion high point; He is brought into the palace to calm the king with his music high point.  He is a military hero and leader, high point.  The king became paranoid and afraid of David’s popularity and tries to kill him, low point.  Saul dies in battle and David becomes king and unifies the nation and the nation prospers, high point.  David has an adulterous affair, and his child dies, low point.  His son rebels against him low point.  His reign is reinstated high point.  The Philistines come back, and the nation is at war again low point.  



I want us to take a look at 2 Samuel 22 which is a song or psalm written by David.

The song has four themes evident from David’s life and I dare say for our lives too. 

  1. When times are tough, God is our only security (2-20)

  2. When our days are dark, the Lord is our only light (21-31)

  3. When our walk is week, the Lord is our only strength (32-40)

  4. When our future is foggy or fuzzy, the Lord is our only hope (50-51)

When times are tough, God is our only security (2-20)

2 Samuel 22:2‭-‬3‭, ‬7 NIVHe said: “The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior— from violent people you save me. “In my distress I called to the Lord; I called out to my God. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came to his ears.

The Lord said, “It is on account of Saul and his blood-stained house; it is because he put the Gibeonites to death.”

David is describing God as his security.  Remember that this chapter comes after what we see in chapter 21. 

There’s a famine that was the result of something Saul did. 

2 Samuel 21:1 NIV During the reign of David, there was a famine for three successive years; so David sought the face of the Lord. During the reign of David, there was a famine for three successive years; so David sought the face of the Lord. The Lord said, “It is on account of Saul and his blood-stained house; it is because he put the Gibeonites to death.”

There was war with the Philistines. 

2 Samuel 21:15 NIV Once again there was a battle between the Philistines and Israel. David went down with his men to fight against the Philistines, and he became exhausted.

David cried out to God and God answered him and he will come to our aid too when we are under the gun.

In David’s case when he asked God for help, He answered by sending rain to end the famine.

2 Samuel 22:7‭-‬12 CEV I was in terrible trouble when I called out to you, but from your temple you heard me and answered my prayer. Earth shook and shivered! The columns supporting the sky rocked back and forth. You were angry and breathed out smoke. Scorching heat and fiery flames spewed from your mouth. You opened the heavens like curtains, and you came down with storm clouds under your feet. You rode on the backs of flying creatures. You appeared with the wind as wings. Darkness was your tent! Thunderclouds filled the sky, hiding you from sight.

When David cried out for relief or help against his enemies, who were winning, God came through again.

2 Samuel 22:14‭-‬19 NIV The Lord thundered from heaven; the voice of the Most High resounded. He shot his arrows and scattered the enemy, with great bolts of lightning he routed them. The valleys of the sea were exposed and the foundations of the earth laid bare at the rebuke of the Lord, at the blast of breath from his nostrils. “He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me on the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support.

In tough times sometimes it is difficult to believe that the Lord delights in us. Yet He does. 

Zephaniah 3:17 NIV The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”

Psalms 18:16‭-‬19 NIV He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.

That’s the whole message of grace.

The Lord is our support. In tough times He is our only security. He rescues us because He delights in us.

When our days are dark, the Lord is our only light (21-31)

2 Samuel 22:29‭-‬30 NIV You, Lord, are my lamp; the Lord turns my darkness into light. With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall.

Let’s look at another song of David in which he says that God is light or a lamp which leads and protects.

Psalms 27:1‭-‬3 NIV The Lord is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked advance against me to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident.

Light allows you to see what’s in front of you so you can avoid some obstacles.

2 Samuel 22:30 NIV With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall.

However, in His goodness He only shows us what’s right in front of us.  We want to see all the way to the end of the road, but God only lets us see what’s important today.  He will guide us every step, but we may want to get out ahead of God and that means waking into the dark which in most cases is not a good idea.  The road ahead may be tough, but God said,

Deuteronomy 31:6‭, ‬8 NIV Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

Hebrews 13:5 NIV Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

“Life by the yard is hard, but life by the inch is a cinch.

Matthew 6:34 NIV Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

All of us have our own particular fears. Fear of darkness. Fear of failure. Fear ofthe unknown. Fear of heights. Fear of financial disaster. Fear of sickness. Fear of death. You name it, we entertain it. Yet, He promises to deliver us from all our fears He shields us when we take refuge in Him.

2 Samuel 22:31 NIV “As for God, his way is perfect: The Lord’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.

When our walk is week, the Lord is our only strength (32-40)

David is older now he’s gone through a lot in his life and he’s tired.  It really shows during this conflict with the Philistines.  We’ve seen David as this fearless warrior who we’ve seen victorious in battle beginning with Goliath, but we never saw an instance where he was described and being tired.  We see him thirsty 

2 Samuel 23:14‭-‬17 NIV At that time David was in the stronghold, and the Philistine garrison was at Bethlehem. David longed for water and said, “Oh, that someone would get me a drink of water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem!” So the three mighty warriors broke through the Philistine lines, drew water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem and carried it back to David. But he refused to drink it; instead, he poured it out before the Lord. “Far be it from me, Lord, to do this!” he said. “Is it not the blood of men who went at the risk of their lives?” And David would not drink it. Such were the exploits of the three mighty warriors.

This didn’t take place at the time of the battle we are talking about today.  This is in the section of scripture that describes some of the men that went to David when he was in the cave on the run from Saul.  

But we see David as being physically tired.  His strength is snapped.

2 Samuel 21:15 NIV Once again there was a battle between the Philistines and Israel. David went down with his men to fight against the Philistines, and he became exhausted.

But he has called on God and God has revealed to Him to not be discouraged because He is David’s strength.  

2 Samuel 22:32‭-‬37 CEV You alone are God! Only you are a mighty rock. You are my strong fortress, and you set me free. You make my feet run as fast as those of a deer, and you help me stand on the mountains. You teach my hands to fight and my arms to use a bow of bronze. You alone are my shield, and by coming to help me, you have made me famous. You clear the way for me, and now I won't stumble.

Paul said the same thing

2 Corinthians 12:6‭-‬10 NIV Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

When times are tough, the Lord is our only security. When days are dark, the Lord is our only light. When our walk is weak, the Lord is our only strength.

When our future is foggy or fuzzy, the Lord is our only hope (50-51)

2 Samuel 22:47‭-‬51 NIV “The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be my God, the Rock, my Savior! He is the God who avenges me, who puts the nations under me, who sets me free from my enemies. You exalted me above my foes; from a violent man you rescued me. Therefore I will praise you, Lord, among the nations; I will sing the praises of your name. “He gives his king great victories; he shows unfailing kindness to his anointed, to David and his descendants forever.”

Despite all that David has been through, he is not bitter or resentful.  David approached the end of his life with praise and a look to the future as he ends this song

We Christians, I have observed, frequently have trouble believing that He is our only hope, security, light, and strength because we are so prone to try everything else before the cry out to God. We automatically depend upon everything except the Lord. 

Yet as we read earlier, He is always there He never leaves or forsakes us.  

He is waiting to show Himself strong. He is our light and our salvation. He hears our cry. He lifts us up out of a horrible pit; He places our feet upon a rock and directs or steps. He proves Himself strong in our weakness; He sheds light in our darkness; He becomes hope in our uncertainty and security in our confusion. We should always thank him for being there throughout our lives. . . never letting us down. . . never making us feel foolish because we are weak.

Psalms 73:23‭-‬28 NIV Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you. But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.

Psalms 25:1‭-‬22 NIV In you, Lord my God, I put my trust. I trust in you; do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me. No one who hopes in you will ever be put to shame, but shame will come on those who are treacherous without cause. Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old. Do not remember the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you, Lord, are good. Good and upright is the Lord; therefore he instructs sinners in his ways. He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way. All the ways of the Lord are loving and faithful toward those who keep the demands of his covenant. For the sake of your name, Lord, forgive my iniquity, though it is great. Who, then, are those who fear the Lord? He will instruct them in the ways they should choose. They will spend their days in prosperity, and their descendants will inherit the land. The Lord confides in those who fear him; he makes his covenant known to them. My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only he will release my feet from the snare. Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Relieve the troubles of my heart and free me from my anguish. Look on my affliction and my distress and take away all my sins. See how numerous are my enemies and how fiercely they hate me! Guard my life and rescue me; do not let me be put to shame, for I take refuge in you. May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope, Lord, is in you. Deliver Israel, O God, from all their troubles!


Bible Study Audio





No comments:

Post a Comment